Week 7 & 8
During weeks 7 & 8, I learned a lot despite the fact that I wasn't physically in class. To start, we spent time talking about data and how we can use that to assess children in our classrooms. We looked at how some scores can be presented. It is a personal preference on how you would like the children's scores presented, and there are many ways to go about doing this. There are many different types of graphs that can be used to visually show data. Portfolios can even be used to document scores! In week 8, we worked on how to calculate the different areas of scores that include: mean, median, mode, range and standard deviation.
Mean: average of all the numbers
Median: The middle number
Mode: The number that occurs the most
Range: The largest number minus the smaller
Standard Deviation: A variation of the answers
We worked on an Excel spreadsheet to analyze the data and put it into bar graphs or pie charts, depending on what needed to be shown. I felt very familiar using Excel as I took an Into to Business course in high school my senior year. That class was mainly Excel based. After working with Excel again and relearning the knowledge, I feel more comfortable! I will also remember how to use this in my future classroom. As a teacher, it is very important to remember that there are many ways to analyze and assess data! By using different charts and graphs to analyze the students, It can be very helpful to parents to see where their child is in a certain category or subject.
Comments
Post a Comment